2018 is here and summer never looked so beautiful. Check out the list of awesome Free things to do this month.
- 5th Jan – 28th Jan: FREE pop up Swimming Pools in Hyde Park. Find out more here.
- 5th Jan – 28th Jan: FREE Glitterbox. As part of Sydney Festival you get your chance to show off your best dance moves and then turn them into a work of art. It’s a free interactive experience. Simply choose your song and dance – but remember, everyone’s watching.
- 26th Jan: Australia Day Celebrations: Pack your picnic and head down to Manly Beach. Enjoy the sun, sea and a few beers – it’s a day to remember. Manly Backpackers will be organising our own very special BBQ so keep an eye on the reception for more information.
With winter in full swing and the hostel buzzing with guests, it’s time to enjoy everything that Sydney has to offer. Check out what’s on this month below.
Saturday 1 July – Meet Me in The Cross: July is the perfect time of year to get out of the hostel, leave Manly, and head to the city for a night out. Get ready to dance with awesome DJ sets from international juggernauts like Hermitude and Nina Las Vegas and live sets from indie legends like World Champion, Dappled Cities and Mezko. This will be one night in Sydney you wont want to miss out on. Tickets are $30 and you can find out more here.
Sunday 2 July – Underwater and Beach Cleanup: It’s easy to take the beautiful beaches in Sydney for granted, but with the ongoing threat of pollution it’s time to take action. Join the clean up efforts and help the eco system that makes Manly so wonderful survive. Meet at Manly Cove at 11am find out more here.
Saturday 8 July – Zedtown: State of Emergency: Who doesn’t love a Zombie apocalypse? With one kicking off in Sydney this month, now’s your chance to find out what you’re really made of. Will you stand and fight or will you run away? Grab your friends and get ready. The End of the world is coming!!! Find out more here.
July 1 – July 15 – Ice Skating: It’s definitely not cold enough for snow in Sydney, we’re still swimming in the sea in Manly. Wrap yourself up and grab a pair of skates for this winter wonderland. 1 hour is will set you back $12, find out more here.
Winter in Australia is the best kept secret, particularly in Sydney.
With temperatures never really dropping below 8 °C it feels more like a mild European day, than mid winter.
Despite the repatriation seasons bring Australians always seem slightly confused by the change in temperature and shocked that it has got slightly colder. But, don’t be fooled – just because it’s a little bit cooler doesn’t mean Sydney is any less magical. In fact ask any Manly local and they will easily tell you their reasons for loving this place we call home during any month.
Here are 5 reasons why we love winter in Manly:
- No more crowds: Summer is of course an amazing time to visit Manly, but with that in the front of everyones mind, you’ll not be alone in any trip you plan. As the winter months roll around the crowds slowly leave and Manly takes on a totally different vibe. You’ll feel more like a local as you stroll alone the beach and enjoy everything that Manly has to offer. Nothing really shuts down, so you still get the same awesome nightlife, there will just be a few more familiar faces.
- Winter Sun: That’s right the sun still shines during winter in Sydney. With less concerns about UV and dangerous rays, you can get out there and actually enjoy it. You’ll still see people in bikinis on Manly Beach and even swimming in the ocean. The temperature is perfect for hiking, surfing, or simply sitting in the sun and reading.
- Cheap Deals: With a big chunk of Sydney tourist gone the prices drop for a lot of things. From the hostel accommodation at Manly Backpackers, to cheap deals on eating out. You just have to know where to look and you will be rewarded.
- Meet Your kind of People: If you are looking to stay in Manly a little longer than a weekend, you’ll be pleasantly surprised that your fellow backpackers will be on the same vibe. We often find backpackers stay longer and making deeper connection with this beautiful place and awesome people.
- Find Work: At Manly Backpackers we often get requests for workers, from labourers to hairdressers and with less traveler competitions, it’s much easier to grab a job and keep it long term. If you are looking for work pop into reception and we’ll let you know what you’ve got.
Now, with winter only lasting 3 months you’d better make the most of this awesome season and get here soon!
Summer might be coming to an end, but the days are still hot enough for the beach and the water is the perfect temperature for a dip.
But, if you fancy a change from the beautiful Manly Beach, why not make the most of the smaller crowds that we’re seeing at all the beaches across Sydney, and do things a little bit differently?
After all, backpacking is about challenging yourself and pushing your boundaries.
So whether you’re looking for a new challenge or you just fancy getting your kit off, a skinny dip might just be for you.
It’s a great idea to take some friends with you on this adventure. It’s gonna be one you remember forever and you might feel a bit braver with your mates standing by your side, when it comes to stripping off.
Below are 3 great beaches to get naked on (and not get in trouble).
Obelisk Beach – Just across the water from Manly. Obelisk Beach in Mosman is the perfect little spot for a naked dip. It’s secluded enough to feel private and is protected from the hustle and bustle of Sydney Harbour.
Cobblers Beach – This beach is a favorite amongst the regular nudists in Sydney. It’s a beautiful beach and a great spot for snorkeling, just be careful where you look with your goggles on!
Lady Jane Beach – If you are more of an exhibitionist this beach might be for you, as it is often visited by boat loads of tourists, who fancy a quick glance at some naked butts on their way to South Head.